Immediate Need – When a death has occurred
When a death has occurred and you are faced with an immediate need for services, please follow the instructions below. The Amos Family Funeral Home & Crematory is conveniently located in Shawnee just one mile west of I-35 on Johnson Drive. Regardless of whether you are in Kansas City, Kansas or Missouri, Overland Park, Merriam, Lenexa, Mission, Roeland Park, Olathe, Fairway, Westwood, De Soto, Mission Hills, Prairie Village, or Leawood, we are very easy to get to.
- Please notify us by phone at 913-631-5566. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day. Do not try to notify the funeral home of a death by e-mail or through the website.
- If death occurs at a hospital, nursing home, or other institution, simply instruct that facility to notify us.
- If the death occurs at home and the deceased is under hospice care, call the hospice provider and they will call the funeral home at the appropriate time.
- In cases of sudden death or when someone is found dead, you must call 911. Once the Coroner has released the decedent, the Police will call the funeral home for you. The Coroner may order an examination before releasing the deceased to the funeral home. If that occurs, your loved one will be transported to the Coroner or Medical Examiners facility. Once their examination is complete, the family will notify them as to which funeral home will care for the deceased.
- We will come over at the appropriate time and bring your loved one back to the funeral home. We do not take your loved one to a central holding facility; they are taken directly to our funeral home.
- If death occurs away from home, call the Amos Family at 913-631-5566, and we will make the necessary arrangements to have your loved one brought back here.